As with many non-profit agencies, we must rely on non-government funds to acquire many of the necessities to support the needs of the individuals receiving services from our agency. With your generous support, all donations will go directly to our 2014 support fund. Through this fund we are able to help support our clients with everyday life necessities that include:
- Clothing and Replacement of Linens – Social Security Income (SSI) is often the sole means of support for a CHOICESS client, so after paying for their monthly rent, food and a bus pass, there isn’t much left over.
- Medical Supplies – Some medical supplies are not covered by Medi-Cal and need to be purchased.
- Communication Devices – Our clients communication challenges range from individuals who need items that provide output in the form of voice or print so they can express themselves and be understood because they are not able to effectively use verbal communication, but can express themselves with the assistance of augmentative communication devices.
- Hygiene Supplies – Purchasing these supplies are costly but are necessary to assist individuals in personal care.
- Support Equipment – A major goal of CHOICESS is to help clients obtain basic support equipment in order to keep and maintain profitable jobs. This includes motorized wheelchairs, modified computers and other devices. It can take as long as five years for a qualified individual to obtain a publicly funded motorized wheelchair, and that is simply too long of a wait to get our clients into the working world.
- Initial rent subsidies and furnishings – CHOICESS major mission is to get clients living in their own home or apartment. Often it is necessary for CHOICESS to provide “up-front” funding for rent and furnishings because funding from the Regional Center frequently does not cover the entire “up-font” costs.